Big Green Local
The Big Green Local project was launched by HCGA in Spring 2014. The aim is to improve the open spaces in the Wormholt and White City area of Shepherds Bush and benefit the people who live, work or play in the area. Please join us for family gardening on a Thursday afternoon at Phoenix School Farm in White City from 4-6pm (From 20th April 2017).
The project includes:
– A tool sharing scheme for local residents
– Planted thousands of spring bulbs in White City and Wormholt Park. The planting in Wormholt Park in 2016 involved children from local schools, two community planting days and two corporate volunteering days.
– Regular sessions at Phoenix Farm throughout the summer, at weekends and on Thursday afternoon/evenings including holiday playschemes, seed sowing workshops, jam and pickle making, Halloween and Christmas activities.
– Trips to a fruit picking farm in Herts, Kew Gardens and the Capel Manor Farm Show in Enfield.
– Working closely with local businesses such as the BBC and Imperial College.
– Organising corporate volunteering days, set up and continued work on an overgrown/unused garden in the white City area, now known as the secret garden!
– Participation in the W12 Festival, Christmas Festival and other local events such as the White City Green Transport Day in 2016
– Ran the first pop up tea garden at the W12 festival in 2014
– Planting of an Orchard in 2015
– Ran a front garden competition in 2016 sponsored by the Housing Department